This is awesome! 1911 receiver completed!
I grabbed a kit from Stealth arms with a tactical 80% 1911. After a bit of learning I made a 100% 1911 frame in about 2 and half hours with only a bench mounted vise and a drill press. Still have to get all the parts and assemble but the work on the frame is done except for some final cleanup for finish. The frame is a beautiful machine aluminum. I’m thinking a bit of Cerakote to finish it off.
I used a new old-stock para slide from Sarco to test fit. The serration on this slide feel about right for the tactical frame. I think this will be the slide I use with an inexpensive .45 barrel I got from Midway USA.
Next is fitting a beaver tail safety.
Things I learned:
- You need a very sturdy work bench. Mine wiggles a bit too much.
- Get soft jaws for your vise. I marred the jig a bit.
- I suggest removing the other unused cutter while working. One of mine slipped out and bit the jig pretty hard.
- Monitor the Cutter allen screw tension. If it gets loose, the cutter heads can extend out when not desired.
- Suggest getting a Rail file to remove any chatter marks you may have.
- Barrel seat cut was a bit rough with chatter marks. Needed filing and sanding. In the future I will try milling for a ramped barrel.
I will buy a couple more frames! And I will also try a Steel Frame I have from Tactical Machine http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-1911.html
If that works, I may even try an expensive stainless frame from http://1911builders.com/collections/frames
More to come as this things gets finished up.