I decided to replace my older Solidoodle with a FlashForge Creator Pro.
After a few days with it, I’m pretty pleased. It has a great enclosure, excellent heated bed and I really like the SD Card reader. The quality of the prints are pretty solid so far with ABS. I am going to try PLA this weekend.
I must admit the software it comes with blows. I went back to my old standards of Slic3r and now also using gpx to convert to the SD Card printing.
Print results to come! And I am going to resurrect the BPM11/9mm project.
This is a bit ugly. The large ABS parts always seem to warp during printing. Even from this crude shape, I think I have some finally design tweaks I’m going to make and start printing a newer version 9. It will have a lowered ejection port, Fatter shell in general for thicker sides, wider foregrip, and a smoothed magwell.
Over the last few months I have has some major setbacks on the BMP-11 project. I printed the pistol grip area with partial success.
There was horrible warping and some poorly adhered layers causing the part to be pretty fragile. The trigger guard broke with just a bit on handling. This was printed with 80% infill and took 22 hours to print. It did prove that a shape can be printed with success and I was starting to think I would have to cast the parts. I also let a number of people hold the part and the conclusion was the grip was not comfortable.
I then redesigned the 3d model to have a thinner grip and more room for the web of your hand.
At this point I gave up for now. I started reading up on California SB374, the new Assault Weapon Ban and decided to put this project on hold. It turns out the new ban will not affect M11 type guns, but I have dozens of other kits that will need to get finished by Jan 2014. I can get back to the BPM-11 at a later time.
What I have here is a couple of m-11/9mm flats I bent ready to become working receivers. I have 2 sets of parts to start to work with, an old cobray marked set and a newer designed modern set. Next step, clean up receiver number 2 and then some welding. Unfortunately the sidecocking upper has to go, and will be swapped for a traditional top cocker. The bent receiver flats are pretty rough, but who cares, they will be inside a chassis! When this step is done, I can exact dimensions for the BPM11/9mm plastic 3d printed chassis to go around it.
I was dealt a setback on my 3d printer. I broke the extruder and have been waiting for a replacement part. Hopefully it will show up soon. I want to start printing parts. 🙂
Mock-up in 3d started of my BPM-11/9mm chassis project. Unfortunately I don’t have really nice 3d engineering software, so I am working with what I know, Autodesk 3Dsmax. I am modeling with polygons instead of splines which is probably not the cleanest. Still need to work out the joints and cavity shape for the M-11 as well as the charging handle interior. Lots more to do, but it’s getting to the point that I can start printing parts for test fitting. 🙂
My version of a bullpup rifle made from a m-11 pistol parts set begins!
I have started working on something that may be a relatively easy and fun build. A bullpup plastic chassis for a 9mm m-11. Here is the 2d mockup of the BPM-11 from Katzbalger Arms!
Use readily available m-11 parts and sten mags
Build the plastic chassis with a inexpensive ABS plastic 3d printer http://www.solidoodle.com/
I intend to build it in 8″ long sections and glue them together
If heat proves to be a problem for the ABS I can try casting stronger plastics using the ABS blank
Frame will remain steel and will be bent from a flat
Some welding required
Could be made from a standard m-11 receiver with sight removed
The overall size is to be slightly larger than a FN p90 (I find it just a bit to short to be comfortable)
Before I get too far, I would be glad to hear people opinions.
Next step is to design in 3D. I already have all the m-11 parts on hand, just need to weld my lower up.